-- On Mon, 8/8/11, Johnny
Date: Monday, August 8, 2011, 3:31 AM
good luck and have a great first day at work
He's a taxi driver delivering fares to the finest gentlemens' clubs in the valley. 3:31 a.m. is the middle of his workday. What counts is that he processed, first, that I'm going to work and, second, that this could be difficult for me. "Remember, if you need me, I'm off all day and I'll have the cell phone with me." I remembered that. I got up, roasted about 40 harvests worth of fresh vegetables I didn't take care of Sunday night, ground extra coffee beans and found the early morning newscast on TV that I used to enjoy. The veggies will feed me several meals, the extra beans will ensure that no Folger's passes my lips, and half-listening to the news will make me later appear less like I just left a sanatorium for a rest-cure of a year. I hope. My favorite woman weathercaster is still on and making me grin. Las Vegas is wimpy this year. We've had not one day in excess of 112-degrees officially, and what the heezy is the matter with us for that?
More emails and text messages landed: "I'm thinking about you!" "Knock 'em dead." I felt truly supported and grateful.
Things I forgot :
- Some intersections in our city require more than 4 minutes to cross.
- When one needs gas in the car, she needs to add 5-7 minutes to the trip.
- A commute of twice the distance in the dead-opposite direction is going to take some getting used to.
- The black cat will have curled up on the light clothes, the white cat on the dark ones. How do they do that when one only steps away for a moment?
- The red cowgirl boots are the cutest, but highly impractical for a first day that includes moving stuff around the work area.
- "The weekend" means Saturday and Sunday, free days, sandwiched between workdays. People do fun things on the weekends.
- Here are all your keys. Give me 4 digits you'd like to have for your access code. Easy!
- If you'll give me 10 minutes, your new computer and software are here. Love me some Windows 7 and Office 2010!
- Would you like 2 monitors or 3? Oh, difficult choices!
- Don't worry about how it's been done here before. Start popping ideas. OK, let me warm up.
- We need you to fix about 25 Excel formulas everyone messed up. I'm the girl who counts on her fingers and toes and sometimes learns new software applications by using sticky notes and many tears, but in this world I am the champ at this task.
- Give me a list of everything you'd like in office and break room supplies. He laughed at me when I asked for binder clips and liquid creamer with no fat or sugar.
- Check this letter. We're pitching Maria Sharapova's people. [Yes, the Russian tennis pro.] Can you kick it up a notch? That's what I do!
Yes! "Remember how we . . ?" I remember! "Can you replicate that?" Without a doubt! [Note to self: HOW?]
In my ears right now: